Wednesday, May 31, 2006

A rendezvous with my barber..

I couldnt get over our dismal show in the semis of ESWC and so decided on impulse that I'd go for a haircut. (Yes, on impulse. Dont be shocked) However when I told my mom about my decision, I've never seen a happier face. (Except in the lux ad when SRK is bathing in the rose petals filled bath tub)

So as I made my way to the salon, all I could think of was how much my sister and I'd miss my hair. (Yes, my sister. She likes it and was clearly not pleased at the thought of me getting a haircut.) But I couldn't turn back, for that would mean backing out on a decision made after hours of introspection. (Yes, I'm self-contradictory) So like a soldier marching towards his death, I went and took my seat in the salon. And a long haired barber, sporting a John Abraham look, decided to give me the ill-fated haircut.

Here is the conversation which followed. (It is in English for the comfort of all the readers who are unfamiliar with the Hyderabadi Hindi. Also it is damn tough to type in Hindi and convey the actual meaning. ) Here Me (SC) stands for my sub-conscious voice. :P There were some more dialogues from my sub conscious mind, but had to edit and censor them.

Him: Saab, what kind of cut do you want? Shall I just trim it in the front and the sides?
Me: No, I want a summer cut.
Him: (shocked) What? Why? (Pause) This style looks good on you.
Me: Thank you, but I think I'd prefer a crew cut.
Him: Kyun boss? Do your parents object?
Me(SC) : Is this a inter-caste love marriage or something for parents to object? :-??
Me: No..
Him: They dont allow long hair in your school?
Me(SC): Damn my childish looks!!
Me: No. And btw I'm an engineering student.
Him: *Bewildered look* *scratches his head*
Right now he was wondering why I had decided to cut my hair after 3 months ka palke-poske-bada-kiya phase. And I was wondering why he was so perturbed by that!
Him: Then does your girlfriend hate long-haired people?
By now I knew he was andhere-mein-theer-maaring.. So I had to break the truth to him.. slowly though.
Me: No. Actually..
Him: (interrupting) Actually if you could grow your hair for one more month, you might look like Krrish. (By now he was gleaming) (Pause) Krish hairstyle I meant.. :|
Me(SC): duhhhh.... You hafta tell him before he goes berserk with the Krrish theory!
Me: (Long pause) No, actually I am finding it tough to maintain this hair during the summer. Would you just go ahead and put me out of my misery?

I was not soo blunt, but I sounded somehwat blunt. (Yes, I'm self-contradictory) So after sighing for some time, this lone-crusader-for-long-hair started the ritual slowly but after some time gained some speed. Soon he was cutting at a furious pace. I knew it was tough for him. Dont ask me how. So when he asked whether it was ok if he played songs, I dint object. Until.. :-s until I realised that he was a HIMESH FAN!! :((

So as I was treated to some nasal singing and some hip hop moves from the barber, I barely kept myself from asking him to stop the music. (Yes, I dont like acting rude to stangers) First it was the aashiq banay aapne song and then the jhalak dikh laja.. then it was the lounge mix of the same song and THEN it was the dhol mix. (Yes, I asked him all the names of the various versions) After some more excruciating minutes of the Himesh torture (it is worse than the Chinese torture, believe me. Especially with a razor near your jawline.) the ordeal was finally over! #:-s

So right now when people look at me, they act
1. As if they've won the Ms Universe.
2. As if they've come runners-up at Ms Universe.
3. As if they've just realised that Jadooo looks more handsome than Hrithik.
4. As if I'm one of the endangered species who has just escaped from the Corbett National Park
5. Normally.

The people who come under the normal category are very few. And now for the philosophically inclined, I just got my hair cut because I think I am entering a new phase in my life. A non-Spawn, more mature, hardworking phase. But this DOESN'T mean that I am gonna stop playing CS. The Spawn in me shall live forever. Just that he is going to be somewhat dormant in the coming days :P

PS: I've never seen a weirder barber before. Seriously.
PS1: ESWC was cool. Thought of writing a post on that, but then it would make little sense for most of you guys :P So delayed it.
PS2: Mumbai trip was a-w-e-s-o-m-e. Will try posting about that as well.
PS3: Running out of ideas to blog about :(
PS4: Multi robotics grades are out. Got an A- Pretty happy :D
PS5: India lost the ODI series to the Windies. >:P
PS6: Waiting for the world cup to start :D the futbol one.
PS7: Did I mention that I got a haircut?
PS8: They're gonna close the labs this coming monday. Dammit!
PS9: DTA is unlucky, titans are lucky. End of story.
PS10: Intend to start writing testimonials again.
PS11: Affy tells me I am obsessed with writing PS-es. And that I'm proud of it. Yes, I am. :D

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Gulam Hasan said...

Yay!! the old jokul is back...
LMAO @ "Is this a inter-caste love marriage or something for parents to object? :-??"
this post was funny da....who says u r runnin out of ideas:P
just keep bloggin

12:19 PM  
Blogger mythalez said...

the fear of going to a barber often makes me grow my hair long ... seriously ..
I can empathise with u :D

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how much time do u spend to actually find an appropriate image for each post ??

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey vasan !
A small correction in u r post its not saloon its salon.bye...

2:28 AM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@Affy:
who says aa? I say.. :P

@rama:
aahh.. finally someone who understands my plight.. :D

2:31 AM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@matrix:
Barely 30-45 seconds.. thanks to google search. :D If I dont like any of the pics on page 1, I just skip the picture part.. :D

@kiran:
Thanks a lot for the spell check. :D
Btw just out of curiosity, which kiran are you? :-??

2:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Vasan :

Orey gokul! Gus we have to start discussing stuff more (implying we have to amplify our BC quantities)
Thats where posts are born from right ?

Anyway ..cant stop myself from doing this ..
1)T SPAWN
2)CT SPAWN
3)GM SPAWN

4:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ spawn again :
Thats Lilli :D

4:04 AM  
Blogger Tealâ„¢ said...

"Himesh fan"....lol... luxx lyk the barber was one of those rejects from those make-over shows .. and u actually grew ur hair for 3 months???
Funny one dude ... keep 'em coming!

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I own the rights to --> PS(PS No.)This is the end ... regarding that link .. keep surfing ... u will always find something interesting :D

1:42 AM  
Blogger Cosmic Voices said...

i can see myself in your shoes sometime in future. Only difference is that its been a year since i cut my hair

4:32 AM  
Blogger Sameera said...

i lolled @intercaste
and at him questioning abt ur gf

u btr not tell the barber before u tell us whats happening

i have requested and pleaded with u to tell me when u blog again when threatening to slap dint work

but that also has fallen on deaf ears

guess i have to wait for affy to tell me when u have blogged :(

self-contradictory..hehe..nice

krrish yuccccccccckkkkkkkkkk

jaddoooo yuckkkier

arre baap himesh is very popular
barbers,auto drivers(maaaaaaan hitec city seven seater drivers and himesh..somethng really binds em together)..and now even ghosts..hope u hrd the latest story of possession of a guy by a ghost when he was sining "aaja aaaja"

ess u use way too many ps-es
some of wich are redundant :p

thank god ur back with a funny post :D

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home