Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Philosophy.. maya's and mine :D

In Devi Bhagwata Purana, it is mentioned that once Narada asked Vishnu about the secret nature of Maya (Illusion).




“What is Maya?” asked Narada.

“The world is my Maya. He who accepts this, realizes me,” said Vishnu.

“Before I explain, will you fetch me some water?” requested the Lord pointing to a river.

Narada did as he was told. But on his way back, he saw a beautiful woman. Smitten by her beauty, he begged the woman to marry him. She agreed.

Narada built a house for his wife on the banks of the river. She bore him many children. Loved by his wife, adored by his sons and daughters, Narada forgot all about his mission to fetch water for Vishnu.

In time, Narada’s children had children of their own. Surrounded by his grandchildren, Narada felt happy and secure. Nothing could go wrong.

Suddenly, dark clouds enveloped the sky. There was thunder, lightning, and rain. The river overflowed, broke its banks and washed away Narada’s house, drowning everyone he loved, everything he possessed. Narada himself was swept away by the river.

“Help, help. Somebody please help me,” he cried. Vishnu immediately stretched out his hand and pulled Narada out of the water.

Back in Vaikuntha, Vishnu asked, “Where is my water?”

“How can you be so remorseless? How can you ask me for water when I have lost my entire family?”

Vishnu smiled. “Calm down, Narada. Tell me, where did your family come from? From Me. I am the only reality, the only entity in the cosmos that is eternal and unchanging. Everything else is an illusion – a mirage, constantly slipping out of one’s grasp.”

“You, my greatest devotee, knew that. Yet, enchanted by the pleasures of worldly life, you forgot all about me. You deluded yourself into believing that your world and your life were all that mattered and nothing else was of any consequence. As per your perspective, the material world was infallible, invulnerable, perfect. That is Maya.”

And inspired by Henry, I am coming up with my own pearls of wisdom :P

The wisdom of the optimist #1:

Neither are all good guys always good;
Nor are all bad guys always bad.

Simple though it might seem, on second thoughts, it might reveal something more. Every guy’s actions, some of which contradict their nature, might be unintentional. And then there are instances when they are intentional but that is just an exception. Be it Dharmaraja lying during the battle of Kurukshetra or I being pessimistic on the eve of exams. We just can't help it. :P How many times have you misjudged someone? Think.. think.. think.. :D

Quote of the day:

All that is necessary to break the spell of inertia and frustration is this: Act as if it were impossible to fail. That is the talisman, the formula, the command of right-about-face which turns us from failure towards success.

- Dorothea Brande

PS: I have been trying to motivate myself to start my end-semester exams preparations. My exams start from first week of April :-ss. Wish me luck. But I’ll be posting regularly.. I think :-s. And India won the first ODI.. awesome bowling by Bhajji..

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Neither all good guys are good; ..."
ur wisdom contradicts ur belief as an optimist :)

8:39 AM  
Blogger Vivekanand M said...

machcha...
ennada...love failure aa???thathuvam ellam pesara??or did u drink or dope????????:P
btw u hve been tagged...plz do refer my blog :D

11:53 AM  
Blogger Sameera said...

spawny

the story is nice but i already knew it so nothing new for me
kinda disappointed

good luck for ur exams

12:44 AM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@ravi:
The underlying assumption that there all bad guys are not bad is optimistic enough. That line was for me. The first line was for the realistic touch coz then who would care to read my pearls of wisdom?? ;)

@viive:
hehe.. you are more screwed up than I thought :P
yeah will do the tag

10:44 AM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@abbulu:
self-dabba it is.. :D

@Sam:
Thanku for ur wishes.. I'd need it badly..

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home