Thursday, December 22, 2005

Hell and Back

No.. no I dint watch Kalyug.. was talking about my short stay at home.. Before I drive you guys away from my blog, I'll stop posing these conundrums and will come straight to the point. My uncle from US of A is relocating in Hyderabad. So he, along with his parents, wife and 2-year old daughter had decided to take shelter in the best dharmashaala in Hyderabad for a couple of days.. yes our home while they are out hunting for houses. And I made the biggest mistake of going home just in time to bump into my dear uncle.. blame it on my impeccable timing. And since I was Mr. Jobless because of the ongoing vacations, I was entrusted with the responsibility of doing khathirdaari for our very special guests.

Introduction:
Every man has 3 basic necessities. Roti, kapda aur makaan i.e Food, clothing and shelter. Whenever I go home, I have 4 basic necessities or should I say objectives. They are
1. Good food
2. 9-10 hours of good sleep
3. 4-5 hours of T.V
4. Peace of mind.. yes.. peace of mind
Lets see how all my repeated attempts to achieve all the above mentioned goals were thwarted time and again by my benevolent relatives.

Food:
From where do I even begin? Mom dint have enuff time to cook any special dishes for me. And our "guests" were very picky when it came to food. No onions, no potatoes and no carrots. I had to live on a diet of cabbages, pumpkins, bottle gourds and what not. For a second I was tempted to come back to the hostel, but then better sense prevailed. I decided to hang in there not knowing that the worst was yet to come.

Sleep:
Since we dont have any guest rooms in our house and I had the biggest bed (I roll a lot while sleeping :D) it was decided that my uncle and his daughter would be sleepin on my bed. My sis got to sleep in her room. I had to sleep on the sofa in the living room!! :(( And I cudnt stretch my legs while sleepin coz the sofa was toooo small. Cramped my legs for the first 2 days, but then got used to it. Added to it, the god damned milkman used to come as early as 5:30 and would wake me up. Forget 9 hours, I was not able to sleep for even 6 hours. What a pity!

T.V:
I dont even need to mention it. But then this soul needs an outlet to let out its frustration after having watched all kinds of 'k'rap teleserials which include the saas-bahu melodramas. Women scheming behind one others backs, bitching about them.. *shudders* Now you see what happens if one watches too many K-serials. You bitch non-stop and thats what I am doing right now. At nights, all I was able to watch was NEWS.. First in Tamil, then in English, then in Hindi. Either its SUN NEWS, NDTV, CNN, BBC, India TV. And how could we forget Aaj Tak and TV9. I never knew that so many TV channels were available in India. Well actually I knew but never cared to give em a second glance.

Peace of mind:
My 2-year old cousin showed an instant liking for me. I dunno why. But seeing this rapport netween us, I was made a baby-sitter and I had to watch her when my uncle and aunt were out scouting for a house. Coming back to my cousin, she is very cute, very adorable.. And she is a walking, talking destructive machine. I named her T4. Anything which finds its way into her hands is as good as gone. She broke my glass painting, and mom scolded me because I kept it within her reach. She also dropped my mobile although I somehow managed to assemble it without much fuss. Yeah.. I'm an engineer :D.. But my glass painting :(( Spent 3 days painting the sunset. But the bright spot was she broke my sister's favourite perfume bottle. *hi fives* For all those who are cursing me, you have not met my sister and you do not know about her. If I were an angel (which I am :">) then she would be the devil. belimey.. of course the vice-versa is not possible since I can never be a devil.. Ok maybe I can but she can never be an angel ;))

Conclusion:
Apart from being deprived of the above mentioned necessities, I was also made to run errands at unearthly hours. Also my uncle got sick and blamed it on the Hyderabadi water. And from there he moved on to India-bashing stating that India is so polluted and all that usual NRI crap. Finally the doctor diagnosed it as an indigestion problem. lol.. Finally the D-Day had come. They were supposed to leave on Monday night and I was waiting in anticipation for the auspicious hour when they would step out of our house. And once they were gone, I jubiliated. But my luck was sooo rotten, that their flight to Chennai got cancelled coz of the incessant rains. And so their departure was postponed to Wed morning and that meant two more nights on the darned sofa.. But then on Wed morning it was done.. And I had survived the ordeal. *phew* Thus ends the dukh-bhari kahani of the optimist.. :(

And for all da christmas fans, a li'l dose of humor.. from garfield. yay! Notice the pear on the laptop instead of the usual apple. So happy Christmas and a very Happy New Year for all you people!! ciao..





Almost forgot.. the quote of the day is:

People ask you for criticism, but they only want praise.
--Somerset Maugham

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Łóòň Ġãĺ said...

WOW!

Me first ... now lemme read...

1:55 PM  
Blogger Łóòň Ġãĺ said...

it's Khatirdaari i think.

9-10 hrs is too much ... dont u think? And i remember u tellin me tht u're an insomniac .... uh oh! :P

No onions?? No potatoes??? were they frm Mars or wht?? i mean ... no offense ... but it did sound surprising! :O

Ewww ... i wudnt be alive if i had to eat just those veggies ...


LOL @ roll a lot while sleeping ... plus u're 6 feet i guess ... hahaha ... do u hv a round bed or wht? :P :P

Aww @ sofa ... tsk tsk tsk

hahahahaaa NEWS channels ... hahahaa

Kids do get attracted to u ... dont they??

T4? wut sense does tht make?

Great ... so u paint eh ...

Sheesh .. u guys ... how can u b so happy ?? @ broken perfume bottle!!

The apple looks more like a pear ! :P

hahahahaaa ... i love garfield!!

Aww how true @ the quote!

Interesting read as usual! :D

Have a Merry Christmas and a very Prosperous New Year!!!!!!

Cheerzzz!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Łóòň Ġãĺ said...

Your side bar has gone down ... do something abt it.

Btw i didnt intend to spam ... u can delete this comment after readin it, if u wanna.

2:08 PM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@cheesy:
FIRST to comment?? Congratulations!! You win a free trip for two to utopia.. courtesy SOTC & the optimist :)

Typo noted milord..

Well, I have nothin better to do bak home, so I do sleep a LOT for a change.. Every insomniac has a right to sleep :P

no no.. I mentioned tht they were from US.. not mars. :P

By rolling, I meant roll from one side to another.. not gol gol rolling.. Theres a limit for dumbness.. and u define it :P

yes.. tsk tsk @me n sofa

I said NEWS channels, not sitcom channels. And T4 stands for
Terminator 4.

Ya I do paint.. I used to paint.. Now full bizzee bizzee..

Yes! I'm happy and I stated my own reasons.

It is spposed to be a pear!! And yes, I love Garfield :D

Yes.. The quote is quite true.. ur recent 50th post is quite a gud example on the mindset of the common man and higlights this point.. I mean common blogger.. What say??

Thenk yew for the concern. I'm working on that sidebar of mine.. I dunno how it went down.. It looked just fine in Firefox.. This IE6 gets on my nerves.. aarrrggh.. And how cud I delete Cheesy's comments.. wont do it :D

8:51 PM  
Blogger obelix said...

lol ....

nothing good on television nowadays ...

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

forgive me, but ur plight or the way u've put it is so funny...Hope your uncle doesn't come across this post..:)

12:03 AM  
Blogger Sameera said...

orey entra?????
relatives r good :-D
atleast i like mosta mine..
kinda mean of u..ill tell uncle to give this a look :p

u know wat joni mitchell says in big yellow taxi? "you never know wat u got till it's gone"..so now u know how beautiful ur home is sans the guests!!

tryin to make u get back to ur optimism..i dont like a complaining spawny :d

very hilarious post..made us feel soooooooo sorry for u paaaaaapam

yeah kids seem to like mt everest.

4:06 AM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@iv:
Ya.. All they show now-a-days is clips of that Operation Majnu.. Nothin new on the music front as well.. except for the new hip-hop, rap video of the Bluffmaster.. sigh! And all Vh1 shows is the videos of Shakira.. to sum it up in one word.. crap
And all this had to happen when we get to our homes..

4:10 AM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@anonymous:
hmm.. Another anonymous comment. Come on people.. if u wanna praise me, u might as well tell me ur names :P
Well, when you come to think of it from a different angle it does seem to be very funny. And hence u r forgiven. I do fervently hope that my uncle doesnt stumble on this blog of mine.. It would be curtains for me then..

4:14 AM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@sam:
I do like most of my relatives. But try putting yourself in my shoes.. yeah size 10 :P Then u'll understand all da agony.. Thought I had described it in detail in the post. hmmm.. And dont expect me to be an optimist 24 hours a day. I would lose my insanity.. i mean sanity.. :D

4:20 AM  
Blogger Gulam Hasan said...

funny but @ the expense of ur relatives .... i dont mind it :P
damn i wish i cud ve seen u suferrin hehe
hey u say nuthin is good on then obv. u havent seen PLAY TV for more details contact jaya

8:12 AM  
Blogger Gulam Hasan said...

arrey i 4got ....i like da song 4m bluffmaster so keep it for sometime so ....i ll request for others when m fed up w this :D

8:15 AM  
Blogger Aran said...

Garfield?? Sacrilege! How can you post Garfield when there's Calvin and Hobbes?

2:22 PM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@affy:
Ya ya.. I know bout the PLAY TV.. ts pretty dumb.. dunt like it much..
Also me will be changing the song soon.. am quite bored with it.. if u want, me shall mail you this song..

5:24 AM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@ARAN:
*shrugs*

@abbulu:
orey sacchinoda!! noaru pettavu kada.. havent put on much weight :(

5:32 AM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@CryptMaestro:
*in a robotic voice*
Analysis made. Cryptmaster must be destroyed.
*Reboots. Curses Windows*
Abbulu must be destroyed.
Mission Destroy Abbulu launched.

5:40 AM  
Blogger Vivekanand M said...

Hey
Has had lotsa similar experiences..esp wit the kids n "k"rap serials..first time here n ur blog is kewl :-)

9:04 AM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@rebel:
Hey welcome to ma blog.. Nice to know tht my blog is kewl :).. ya 'k' serials are seriously a threat to the humanity. Now why does this suddenly give me an idea for my next post.. ok and keep visiting dude.. u r always welcome. Like ur template dude.. pretty flashy

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home