Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Screwed up the Compilers exam royally!!

(In superman ishtyle) Look.. Its Spanish.. No.. Its Hieroglyphics.. No Its Devanagiri Script.. No people.. Its the compilers question paper!! Could barely attempt half of the paper.. One more exam goes down the drain.. I dunno what Satan has got against me. Today, he seemed to devote all his precious time on me, when God was busy helping others deciphering the paper.

It all started when Mr. Anonymous advised me that if I were to put a better effort, it could do wonders to my CGPA. So like a dumba$$, I decided to take the bull by horns. After a long time, did I seriously prepare for an exam. Mission Rescue-compilers-grade was launched. The preparation started around 10:00 and was temporarily stalled when the condition of my nose escalated.(read previous post) So had to suspend the mission for some time. Dozed off for a while.. then woke up, rejuvenated. I was determined to finish the portion. Even went to the extent of going to the canteen to have something so as not to fall asleep.

But Yanni lulled me to sleep at some time around 4, only to be woken up suddenly by loud bangings on my door.. time?? 7:30!! Must have been the Coscopin that I took for the sore throat or maybe the Vicks action 500 for my nose. Had covered almost everything except syntax directed translations, SSA and DAG. At this opportune moment, my intuition deserted me.. Decided to cover DAG and neglected the other two.. that was the greatest mistake I could have committed.

When we were given the question papers, the first page seemed fine to me. Only when I turned the question paper, did I find Satan's involvement.. No points for guessing.. Two 10 mark questions from syntax directed translations and a 10 mark question from SSA!! Added to it, he gave a 10 mark question from code optimization which he never covered in the class. 40 marks vanished into thin air, just like that. No typechecking.. no runtime environment.. I would rate this paper right up there with the Physics-II end-sem paper. Had no clue bout the latter one as well.

Disapponted and discouraged, I messed up the other questions as well. And as usual, I was the first one to give the answer sheet after waiting patiently for half an hour for someone to step forward. Dean came during the exam to clear the doubts. When Monga asked him the full-form of SSA, he threw his hands up in the air, as if India had won the World Cup. Even the invigilators were laughing. People never get fed up of his histrionics. He provided some wholesome entertainment for a minute or so, which was the only bright spot in an otherwise very boring exam. As of now, am expecting anything from C to D. Who says life is fair..

Dee-Dee, Sat (read "The Birthday Boy") and I had planned on eating out, but me has suspended the plans. Have this eerie, queasy feeling, so dont wanna take any risks. The optimist in me has gone into hiding and I can see no ray of hope. Everything seems disillusioned and presently am listening to tunes of Chopin and Illayaraja for some kind of inspiration. Hope it works.

Next pit stop : Networks on Nov. 10th.
And the quote of the day is :

"In the long run the pessimist may be proved right, but the optimist has a better time on the trip."
-- Daniel L Reardon

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i never knew tht u had a blog ... neway ... zulu's desc of lifting his hands was good :)

12:36 AM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@sid:
Thanku. And welcome to my blog dude..Now since you know tht I have a blog, make it a point to visit it regularly :D

@arvind:
Hi welcome to my blog.. hmm one more optimist.. seems like I am not alone! Finally some company.. thanku for a compliments.. what greater joy than to bring a smile on a person's face.. my pleasure.. Keep visiting and keep commenting.. :D

10:06 PM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

When are you gonna post the stories?

I want my chocolate..

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home