Thursday, March 08, 2007

My IIM - L interview..

So finally I get down to blogging my L interview! It's been almost 20 days since I've had my L interview. Anyhow getting down to business, the panel consisted of 2 IIM-L faculty, one lady and the other a gentleman. I was more polite than usual, since it was the Lucknow interview and the Lucknowis are known for their etiquettes (tehzeeb I think.. :-?) and stuff like that. So I wished them as soon as I entered and that, in a way, lightened the mood in the room.

P1: The gentleman ; P2: The lady
[I handed over my certificates as soon as I entered the room. So as they started going through my certificates, I was sitting there feeling awkward enough hoping someone would start the conversation.]

*And after what seemed a lifetime*
P1: International Institute? So everything is international about it? What is so international about it?
Me: *Retold the same IIM-K answer. And then the word reservations and merit slipped out*
P1: So what is your opinion about reservations?
Me: *Never gave my opinion. Spoke in general about how reservations were the right thing to do immediately after independence. Added that we should have removed them by now and even spoke about reservations based on economic status and how impossible it is to implement it practically. And how they can be misused as well, just like other reservations*
P1: hmm.. So your name - Shree.. Shreenivasan. What does it mean?
Me: *Explained it - sri stands for God and nivas stands for abode *
P1: So you mean to say God lives in you?
Me: Sir, thats what my name suggests.
P1: Do you mean to say that God doesn't live in me?
Me: Sir, I personally believe that irrespective of the fact whether I am named Srinivasan or not, God lives in me.. *pause* He lives in you.. He lives in each and every human being.
P1: *least affected and continuing from where I left* So what does this S mean.. your initial?
Me: Sampathkumar. S stands for my father's name.
P1: *offended*Mr. Sampathkumar. Ok? You should respect your father. It's wrong.
Me: *quick to apologise* I'm sorry sir. Mr. Sampathkumar.
P1: So you did not tell me your opinion on reservations.
Me: *Repeated the answer. But I think he wanted a more biased view and so..* I dont mind reservations as long as the general public is not adversely affected by it unlike what is happening right now. *Yes. I am dipomatic.*
P1: Do you know that you come across as a very selfish person? You dont want your interests to be harmed.
Me: Sir, I think you misinterpreted my answer. *Tried repeating the answer but he cut me short with the next question*
P1: Are you a denser?
Me: Pardon me sir? *I thought denser was a term used for people who are very verbose. Never wanted to write GRE because I'm bad with words. It comes naturally*
P1: Are you a denser? Do you dance?
Me: *I'm like #-o ohhhh dance!! Whats wrong with your accent? Not that we southies have a verrry good yaccent* No sir, I am not. *censored* Sir, I prefer listening to music and humming along than shaking my leg.
P1: What kind of music do you listen to?
Me: Sir, I like listening to soothing melodies.
P1: When was Kishore Kumar born?
Me: *Have I been in a time warp? Did I miss anything here? :-??* Sorry Sir, I am not aware of his year of birth. I am not a great Kishore Kumar fan.
P1: You tell me that you like listening to soothing melodies but you dont like Kishore Kumar?
Me: Sir I usually listen to tracks recommended by my friends. *I chose to play it safe because I did not know the date of birth of R.D.Burman*
P1: *still insistent* What do you listen to?
Me: *after some thought* Yanni's compositions.
P1: :| *Dammit! I should have seen Yanni's year of birth!*
Me: *voila!*
P1: What else do you listen to?
Me: Sir, since I am from Tamil Nadu, I listen to Illayaraja..
P1: *Still straight faced*
Me: Sir I also listen to A.R.Rahman's songs.
P1: *aha!* 1942 Love story music director was A.R.Rahman, right?
Me: No sir, if I am not wrong, it was the legendary R.D.Burman's last composition. Rahman made his debut with Mani Ratnam's Roja.
P1: *ahem* ok ok. Where was A.R.Rahman born?
Me: He was born in Tamil Nadu sir.
P1: Where did he give his last live concert?
Me: Sir in Mumbai. On New Year's eve.
P1: No no.. outside India.
Me: *caught unaware* Sir, he gives quite a few concerts outside India. He gave one in Dubai as well.
P1: When?
Me: As far as I can recall, it was in the year 2001, sir.
P1: When was MRF established?
Me: *Did I blackout in the middle? Shocked at the discontinuity* Excuse me, Sir?
P1: You know MRF?
Me: The tyre company sir?
P1: Yes. Do you know when it was established?
Me: No idea, sir.
P1: Ok, what is Bangladesh's currency?
Me: Taka, sir.
P1: Even in Bengal they keep telling taka taka. So is taka West Bengal's currency?
Me: Sir, even in Hindi, we keep telling "do take ka faayda nahi"
P1: So is taka West Bengal's currency?
Me: No sir. Since West Bengal is part of India, taka is not West Bengal's currency. Rupee is West Bengal's currency.

*Lady Takes Over*
P2: How do you see yourself two years from now?
Me: I see myself graduating with a PGDM from one of the IIMs.
P2: So are you going to graduate without a job?
Me: No ma'm. I'm confident of getting placed through the placement process.
P2: Where'd you prefer to join? Which company?
Me: Ma'm, it'd depend on my area of specialization..
P2: What is your area of interest?
Me: I'd be deciding that after my summer internship which I think will be at the end of my first year of PGDM. I think I'd be in a better position to decide it then..
P2: Say all companies want to recruit you, which one would you join?
Me: *I dont know which companies come for campus recruitments at L.* Ma'm, I'd consult my elders, my peers.. hmm... my FACULTY and then decide.
P2: Cant you decide a company NOW? You shouldnt act so indecisive.
Me: hmm.. well, it depends on how the industry scenario is, 2 years from now. Deciding now might restrict my options in the future.
P1: *interrupts* He doesn't need to decide now. *continues* You've performed miserably in your engineering.
Me: *didn't let him complete. Explained*
P1 looks at P2 hoping she continues..
P2: There is a petrol bunk in M.G.Road. Lots of people drive rashly in that area. I am very scared of crossing the road because of this. Now using your Linear Programming knowledge, propose a solution.
Me: *hain?* Ma'm a more down to earth solution would be to build a footover bridge.
P2: *interrupting* Then what about physically handicapped people? Dont you want them to cross the road. Put yourself in their shoes..
Me: *interrupting* Ma'm, one can use an inclined plane instead of steps so that the PH people dont have problems.
P2: *breathing space* No no.. I want you to use your linear programming knowledge.
Me: *Tried figuring out by constructing a few constraints and a vague objective function but before I could come up with something concrete she asked me to forget it*
P1: So you've done cost accounting.
Me: Yes, sir.
P1: What is Break Even Point?
Me: *Explained clearly.*
P1: Good. Now what is a flexible budget?
Me: *Never heard of it!* Sir, I've never come across the term in our course, but from the term I deduce it has got to do with a more flexible .. blah blah..
P1: One thing I like about you is even though you dont know the answers, you're answering the questions.
Me: *Is he being sarcastic? Only sarcasm can understand sarcasm. I'm thinking too much!* Thank you sir.
P1: haha.. you've done cost accounting and introduction to accounts and finance as well!
Me: *whats so funny?* Yes, sir.
P1: Define accounting.
Me: *Define??* *Explained the process of noting financial transactions which can later be used to make financial decisions for a company.. our clients. It can be used to decide the financial position of the company.. blah blah*
P1: How will you decide the financial position of the company using its balance sheet?
Me: Sir, we never went into such depth of the topic, but just to answer your question we need to take into account various parameters like the initial investment, the profits or loss made.. I'd look at minimising overheads and other costs so as to up the profit margins.. whether the company's a startup or not.. etc etc.
P1: Good.. good. *looks at P2*
P2: Which vehicle do you own?
Me: I dont own any vehicle ma'm.
P2: Ok, which vehicle do you drive?
Me: *I aint falling for it* I dont drive any vehicle ma'm.
P2: Do you have a driving license?
Me: I have not yet acquired a license, ma'm.

[She stared at me for 30-45 seconds and I stared back at her. Because somewhere in psychology it is said that when a person lies, he tends to look away. And I didn't want to give such an impression. So after we were done with our staring contest, she broke into a smile and exchanged smiles with the gentleman]

P1: It was a pleasure interviewing you, Mr. Shrinivasan.
Me: Pleasure was all mine, sir. Thank you.

About the interview, all this took place in 12 minutes!! The questions came quick and fast. I had little time to think and I think all questions were aimed to stress me out. Especially there was little continuity between a few questions. Like the part where I was being quizzed about reservations and the next questions was whether I'm a dancer. Even Kishore Kumar and MRF questions were out of the blue. It was a very short and quick interview. And I think I'll make it through because they looked entertained and satisfied at the end of the interview. I did smile throughout the interview. I maintained my calm and wasn't provoked when he called me selfish. Nor did I look stunned and out of place when he asked me about the year MRF was established. Overall a much better interview. And NO technical questions!! Yahoo.. :D :D

PS1: Played holi this time in the campus after a gap of 9 years!! Had loads of fun impersonating tribals.. :D :D
PS2: I got hit by tomatoes and eggs! :(
PS3: I was all pink post-holi. And my nails still retain the pinkish tinge. Discovery of the month: ALl colors are basically made from gulal, the primary color.. :D I know its too childish, you nerds! x( :P
PS4: I have a before and after holi picture but decided not to put it in the post because its already too long!
PS5: First 4 PSes were about holi. Weird.
PS6: My I interview was a biggg disaster. I am not going to blog about it! EVER.
PS7: About the I interview.. I'd get a biiig zero for acads.. a bigger zero for general awareness. So overall, my rating of the interview would be (biiiig zero + bigger zero) /2. Yes, I'm eating sleeping studying Math for my Calcutta interview!
PS8: Feel lightheaded of late. Need to prepare for C.. #:-s
PS9: My A interview was decent. I hope they take me! [-o<
PS10: Need to start the movie marathon that I've been planning for quite some time.
But it can wait. Preparation for C can't.
PS11: Need to complete one more tag.. :-<
PS12: Sid is sick. Seriously. He's sick.
PS13: Have been getting all senti of late about leaving IIIT. And people are coming up with creative ideas. Btw before I forget, Ramji rocks! :P
PS14: Tomorrow warm-up game #2 for India! gl+hf.
PS15: Mind's been working overtime trying to come up with ideas but winds up at a dead end! Frustrated and running out of time.. hmm.. :-?

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Gulam Hasan said...

Naishe..i would ve selected u :p
we wanna kn abt the "I" interview also...we wanna see how u screwed it up >:)

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kalaku po!

11:34 PM  
Blogger mythalez said...

i promise that one day i shall sit down patiently and read all ur interview posts .. .. yeah sincerely .. i really will read em all ..

3:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They seemed to be soo enchanted by you :p ..mine was only for 6 minutes ..half your interview's duration :D
Anyway you seemd to have done well!!GG ol' pal!!

3:44 AM  
Blogger Jaya said...

I read it read it! And I was laughing for most parts which I wont bother listing out as it might resemble the whole of your post.
At the end of it I just have one comment, which u will hate. I won't resist however.. You're so damn adorably cute :D:D

Ha ha

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i cant believe they've asked questions like where was rahman's last concert! isnt that ridiculous?! n how cud u remain calm when u were provoked?!

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They sure seem to be frustu as hell. Congrats for retaining ur calm. All the best

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you going to write iim a interview?

8:59 AM  
Blogger Sameera said...

nice inty.....

but we want iim a and iim i to be featured as well

and i hope u make it in all of those places and give a party for each seperately...

after all didnt we help u remain calm by exposing madness to u much before the interviews

coming to think of it..i dont think u need our madness...u were always mad enuff


im deviating from the topic

i really want to see the holi pics..
u know my email id


im desisting from saying wat jaya has already said to u

8:55 PM  
Blogger Sumanth said...

lol @ denser !

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home