Monday, August 28, 2006

Mid sem exams + Sir Lukog's 3 laws of Examination

So the mid semester exams are here. And as always, I've retained my uncanny ability of screwing up even the easiest of the exams. My aunt used to mention how even my dad, who was a brilliant student, always underperformed in the exams. I guess my dad's genes are finally working. Coming back to the topic, I successfully screwed up the 2 exams that I wrote today, thus maintaining a clean slate. Of course they were easy! I still have one more to go and I'd really love to have a black mark on this unblemished record of mine. Why do you think they call me the optimist!!?? *sigh*


The 3 laws of Examination proposed by Sir Lukog seem to dictate my performance :( For the uninformed, Sir Lukog was a part of the Priori of Scion and is said to have influenced his disciple Newton immensely. Lukog was wanted by the church for his rebellious ideas on examinations. Even today, these laws are practically unknown thanks to stringent measures taken by the then-orthodox church. Coming to the 3 laws of Examination..

The First Law of examination states that every student stays in a state of laziness, and continues to stay in that state unless he is compelled to study due to approaching exams.

The Second Law of examination states that the rate of change of preparation of a student(just before the exam) is directly proportional to the number of hours he has slept during the class.

The Third Law of examination states that for every exam you write well, there is atleast one exam which you'll end up screwing equally well.


Explanation for the 2nd law: The more he sleeps during the classes, the more he prepares before the exam. The mathematical form of this law is as follows:
P = sG
where P is rate of change of preparation, s the number of hours he has slept in the classes and G is the geek constant. You can actually see a striking resemblance with Newton's second law (F = ma)

Please note that the converse of the third law doesnt hold true. Especially in my case.

These laws are proposed for mere mortals and hence any attempts to disprove these laws by drawing comparisons with legends like IV or Manish shall be condemned.

Some of the other lesser known laws on examination, also by the same man, are:

The Law of Hypersomnia: This law states that however great an insomniac one might be, he/she is bound to feel sleepy during the preparation for an examination.

The 70% rule: The 70% rule states that any average student covers 70% or more of the portion he actually studies, in the final hours before the examination.


I guess the time has come for me to start on my 70% of the portion. So off I go and all the best for your exams. And if you're one of those lucky people like THIS guy, who has no exams.. DAMN YOU! >:P

Quote of the day:

The simplest schoolboy is now familiar with truths for which Archimedes would have sacrificed his life.

- Ernest Renan


PS1: Somehow I dont have any such problems with my mock CAT. Scored above 99 percentile in the last 2 mocks which, of course, is ultra cool :D Sid rocked in the last mock! He stood 11th in India and topped in Hyderabad. *awestruck*
PS2: The weather's been soo pleasant of late. I just dont feel like studying. We've been having quite a few philosophical discussions as well. THIS is life :D
PS3: KK's creating mayhem on the ug4 mailing list. As a result, I've refrained myself from sending valuable spam for some days :-< And all because Saaketh had to send mails to ug4! ;))
PS4: I'm feeling sleepy already! (:| Yes, the law of hypersomnia.. :(
PS5: I am unable to upload pics in this post. dammit! x(
PS6: Comfortably numb - voted best guitar solo *yay!* Sweet child o mine and Hotel california also made it to top 10.. :D
PS7: Next post might be on how I sit through boring classes.

Labels: ,

30 Comments:

Blogger Badrinath S. said...

:)) @ the 3 laws of examination.

a minor correction to the 3rd law for people in ECE -

for every exam you write badly, there is always another one (which you write "well") and it is the one which is graded horrendously (usually a course with zero As, one A- and 4 Bs in a class of 35, and "well" being a purely relative term, enough to get you a C.) :P

The Law of Hypersomnia. *worships*.

2:00 PM  
Blogger obelix said...

The sleepiness that you feel during the exam is a random number anywhere between 1/pi and pi

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is KK an apprentice of Lord Lukog ?
your blasphemy in publishing the writings of Lord Lukog shall not be forgiven ;))

may ur MBA dream be fulfilled :)

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ obe:
random number of what unit? is it a probability ? and a probability of pi ?
lol@obe's random comment


dei lukog,
everyone is writing abt exams in the blogroll. nee kudava !!but it was nice timepass

11:12 PM  
Blogger Tealâ„¢ said...

Hey Optimist!
The laws of examination are universally applicable :-O I can totally empathize with ur situation .. but I am done with the drill!!! :-D
Gr8 going on ur mocks ... may ur MBA dream come true! =;

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"optimist ban gaya realist"
This content has waited for a long time to materialise into a post.
Any nice post.

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey what do you mean by your dad's genes are working finally...were you doubted of being someone else child till today...man just think before you write.

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who's this anonymous do-gooder in language ?? :O

Btw this whole post is a Red Herring ;) get what i mean Spawn ol' chum ?

1:25 AM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@badri:
yeah heard about the debacle..
I heard it was quite common for you guys to get screwed in atleast one subject.. :P

@sleeper:
I am ready to pay for my actions for I believe that what i did was right! :P

2:51 AM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@obelix and asr:
Right on asr.. random comments from iv..

@teal:
thanku for the wishes.. :D

2:57 AM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@dan:
yeah man.. its waited a longggg time.. :) I think it was shelved for almost 4-5 months!

@anonymous:
d00d! Stop watching those ekta kapoor serials for heavens sake! You're thinking like a vamp! *shudders* :P

Anyways, if you've taken a bio course there are a certain type of genes called as expressive genes which are activated after puberty or sthn like that.. these are passed on to you from your parents.. Thats what I meant. I'm getting too technical for my own liking.. yuck! why do I even bother! :-< I really need to think before I comment! [-(

@bubba: :P
dude.. you're not spposed to announce it like that in public! Damn you.. x(

3:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey optimist,
which exam r u going to screw after writing CAT well:P...dont tell me u will screw CAT iself

10:04 AM  
Blogger Sameera said...

oooooy
awesome post da
awesome

ur back in top notch form..damn u!!
im jealous

neways i seriously love how u have a pic with ur post that makes perfect sense and is not one of those well known ones..

good stuff not to mention ur quote also which goes with the post..

tooo much thot or too much free time we will never know

loved the 3 rules as well as hypersomnia


u rock sir lukog!

10:47 AM  
Blogger mythalez said...

though i really didnt hav time .. i ended up reading ur post :-s .. now i gotta rush ... *curses*

11:00 AM  
Blogger Gulam Hasan said...

LOL @ the 3 laws
n the law of hypersomnia is sooo trueeeee
*bows to Sir Lukog*
All da besht for Cat!!

11:40 AM  
Blogger precise.movie.reviews said...

There is another law that relates the amount of time one spends reading blogs as the exams draw closer..

wth, maybe it's an extrapolation of the previous laws.

Cool Blog BTW. And all the best for CAT :)

Nipun

5:24 AM  
Blogger Jaya said...

Oolala! Tat made for some fabulous quiet humour reading at this place tat some ppl call work. I belive work also inherits a lot of the properties of the rules proposed by Sir Lukog.

1)The First Law of work states that every employee stays in a state of laziness, and continues to stay in that state unless he is compelled to work due to approaching deadlines.

2)The Second Law of work states that the rate of study of blogs by an employee(during work) is directly proportional to the number of hours he has to put in to complete work before the above mentioned deadlines.

3)The Third Law of work states that for every issue you successfully solve and go home, there is atleast one new bug which is assigned to you to successfully pull you in the opposite direction.(workplace)

I lou ur posts re.. I think ur amazingaro (any resemblance to the alcoholic zingaro is purely fictional, this guy is much "higher")

I know this comment's really late.. but then..well, I'm hoping its worth the wait :p:p

You rock Sir!!

3:10 AM  
Blogger Jaya said...

I meant "quiet humour" only in the last comment..and not "quite humorous"(which is also totally true).. but then i need to hold my horses as far as "LOL"ling in office goes..ppl look at me strangely [:(]

3:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gokuuuu! Great going on CAT!! Har war you :) Miss you.

cc

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

y not bloggin these days??

12:56 AM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@anonymous:
You wish!!! :D

@samwise:
thanksa.. and I'd attribute such posts to too much of time at hand..

4:30 AM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@mythalez:
You need to get your priorities sorted out, young man! :D

@Affy:
thanks.. :)

@nipun:
Hi.. welcome to my blog..
and thanks for the compliments.. :D

4:32 AM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@jaya:
thanks for commenting soo late.. coz if you had commented earlier people would have been LOL-ing at your comment rather than my post.. :D

And as usual, your comment is better than my post.. :( Good going.. :D I really think you shud get started on your blogging career.. :D

4:33 AM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@cc:
yo cc.. supp? I is bery bery phine.. :D
mez got no one to talk to in weird accents.. :(
How did your exams go? Stay in touch..

@anon2:
busy dude.. busy. Why dyu think I cant be busy? :D :P wait a minute.. How can I be busy?? hmm.. :-?

4:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

come on Mr.Optimist... DO POST SOMETHING ...

10:37 AM  
Blogger mythalez said...

Hey u !! wher is the next post? You started a secret blog or something? Or has the cat race taken its toll? .. u can stop blogging just because u r chasing a feline!!
Get ur priorities right young man! :P

3:28 PM  
Blogger Prax said...

Oh well, what the hell!

The laws are excellent. though I break all of them, one way or the other, and definitely messin' up everythin'

Waitin' for your next post, might give you a coupla tips myself..Duh!

11:45 PM  
Blogger Sid said...

post something a'hole ... people are getting bored here !!

12:16 AM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@anon:
You got it dude! :D

@mythalez:
aye aye captain :D

1:59 PM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

@gates:
sure.. all tips are welcome.. this is a desperate plea for help..

@sid:
Is it his highness siddarth who has taken the pains to comment in my blog? I am honoured.. blessed is my blog.. a new post has been posted your majesty!

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home